Hello everyone, 

Welcome back to JB's Blog. I have not been here in a long time but am back today to talk about my senior seminar class and the interview process of getting a job. In this unit what our class has learned has essential information that will help me, and others become successful after college. Learning this as a senior allowed me to develop a new perspective of what I can accomplish after I receive my undergraduate degree this Spring. In this unit we were introduced to the book Can I Wear My Nose Ring to the Interview? This book has really helped me and my classmates prepare for the real world by presenting first to us the guidelines starting with step by step on setting yourself up for success and ending with step by step on when getting the jo what to do with yourself once you have it guidelines of what it is acceptable to do during an interview and hiring processes, as well as things that could hold us back from being hired over other candidates. This process of looking for jobs, making a resume, and doing an interview was completely new because it has never been something I have done yet in my life. There were some points that stuck out to me in this book because this process is so new to me. The very first that stood out to me was the importance of starting with a professional mindset and getting organized and doing research. This is something I have never thought about when it came to life after my degree. Before this reading, if I were looking for a job, part of me would believe that sending my resume to as many job openings as possible would be a good option for me. Now I understand the importance of being organized, putting my best foot forward, and doing research for a few job openings I am interested in. If I put more effort into things I am passionate and educated about, I am more likely to have success instead of putting half my effort into my work and sending it to hundreds of organizations that I may not even have an interest in. Another thing I learned throughout the course of reading this book was how important the interview process is and how important it is to know what to say before you say “I’ll take it”. This is where the elevator pitch comes into play. When walking into an interview or meeting someone for the first time you want to like off the first impression. This book gives great details on the dos and donts of what to have in an elevator pitch. An elevator pitch is keeping things short and sweet by getting straight to the point of who you are and what you do. 

Lastly, I learned what to expect going into your first job, and several tools that can keep me on the road to success.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog